Join the Zero Emission Buildings Academy
Subscribe to the mailing list and we'll send you a flash alert when new webinars in this series are scheduled. Typically, subscribers will receive 4-6 emails per year.
Date & Time
November 30, 2023; 14h00 - 15h00
- Sylvain Robert, Project Manager at CINEA
- Andreas Hermelink, Director at Guidehouse - Buildings for sustainability
- Roberto Lollini, Head of Research Group Energy Efficient Buildings, Eurac
The European Commission has launched a new and improved version of the EU Building Stock Observatory (BSO)! The BSO now includes more reliable data for basic building stock indicators, higher quality data visualisations and a more user-friendly interface, and much more is still to come. Join the webinar to learn about the new BSO improvements and the wider development effort to make the BSO the central EU hub for reliable data on buildings!
Established in 2016, the BSO is a web tool that monitors energy performance and decarbonisation-related buildings data for all EU countries. It now includes more reliable data for basic building stock indicators, higher quality data visualisations and a more user-friendly interface, which will be continuously updated and improved.
This revamp of the BSO encompasses an ambitious set of upgrades, with the aim of establishing the platform as the central hub for European building stock data. Notably, it will contribute to improving transparency on energy efficiency across the EU’s building stock under the Energy Performance of Buildings Directive.
The platform update is focused on 2 overarching goals to improve EU buildings data:
- ensuring the EU BSO is useful across the whole policy cycle from effective target-setting to implementation, enforcement monitoring and evaluation at both national and EU level,
- improving the platform’s user interface, making it easier to navigate for a wide range of potential end-users including policymakers, investors, financial institutions, construction and real estate industry stakeholders, energy providers, local authorities and researchers.
With the implementation of the recast EPBD forthcoming, the BSO will therefore serve as the central hub for data on buildings. The relaunch of the BSO and ongoing development efforts of the tool are foundational to future success to monitor progress on decarbonisation in Europe and to track Member State EPBD compliance.
Led by partners Guidehouse, BPIE (Buildings Performance Institute Europe), EURAC Research, TU Wien and the Danish Energy Agency (DEA), in close coordination with DG ENER and DG DIGIT, the newly launched effort of the BSO is part of a wider development effort to ensure the BSO becomes Europe’s central hub for reliable data on buildings. The BSO development effort is funded through the European Commission’s LIFE programme, managed by CINEA (The European Climate, Infrastructure and Environment Executive Agency).
Watch this webinar to learn about the BSO revamp effort – what has been done so far, and what is in store in the coming months for the BSO!
Last update: November 30, 2023